Purpose of gas chromatography?
- To separate the different volatile or semi-volatile chemical compounds in a mixture.
- To identify or quantify the volatile components of a sample to be chemically characterized.
A gas CHROMATOGRAPH is composed of three parts
- The injector: its role is to introduce into the system the analytes in gaseous form.
- The separation column: placed in a temperature-regulated oven, the analytes are separated according to their volatility and affinity for the stationary phase.
- The detector: delivers a signal proportional to the amount of analyte or spectral information allowing for its identification.