Purpose of gas chromatography?
- Separation of different volatile or semi-volatile chemical compounds in a mixture.
- Identification or dosage of volatile components of a sample intended to be chemically characterised.
Gas CHROMATOGRAPH is composed of three parts
- The injector: its role is to introduce into the system the analytes in gaseous form.
- The separation column: placed in a temperature-regulated oven, the analytes are separated according to their volatilities and affinities for the stationary phase.
- The detector: delivers a signal proportional to the quantity of analyte or spectral information leading to its identification.